- All foreign researchers doing research activities in Indonesia must obtain an official permit from the Indonesian authority in advanced, i.e. the Indonesia Ministry of Research and Technology (RISTEK).
- The Indonesia Ministry of Research and Technology has launched a full-online system through http://frp.ristek.go.id for all required procedures. All procedures and communication have to be done online, including the application form, uploading all necessary documents and the later reports as well. The Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit will take care of all procedures required to obtain an official permit and subsequent matter thereafter.
- All applicants must check and adhere to all requirements set out in the abovementioned procedures. As part of the procedures, with regard to the recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy in London for applications from the United Kingdom and North Ireland, please be reminded of the following:
- Applicant needs to send a formal letter of request to do research in Indonesia to RISTEK, a copy of which is addressed to the Indonesian Embassy in London, and a letter of request for recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy in London (this letter should explicitly state the address of the Embassy and if this address is not given, it can cause delays in some cases).
- The Indonesian Embassy in London then issues recommendation letter and sends the letter to the applicant for further application processes.
Upon accepting the official permit by the Indonesia Ministry of Research and Technology (RISTEK), applicant then could apply a Limited Stay Visa (Index 315 for Research). For more information about the requirements for this visa, please go through the Limited Stay Period Visa.